Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Book Signing Recap/Review

Book Signing/Review of Shatter Me

This happened a few days ago but I am still psyched about it! I had the amazing chance to meet Tahereh Mafi, and I took it, natch! 

I have read both Shatter Me and Unravel Me and I LOVE THEM. The writing is incredibly beautiful, it's almost like poetry. Juliette's voice is very unique, she describes things in a way that makes you see a soul in them. This character is struggling with her mental health and it is fascinating to watch her be constantly pushed and pulled by different people in different directions until she is completely undone. And watching her in the second book, trying to bring her mind to a level place, to figure out who she is and who she wants to be, is nerve wracking.

These two books were my first impulse buy. I had been hearing for many Tea Times (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/epic-reads) how awesome they were, and later that week I went to a signing at a bookstore and saw them on the shelf. I had a feeling right away that this was it, I  would fall in love with these books. And I was right. I didn't even open Shatter Me and read the first page, just took them home and dove in. I didn't get to bed until after midnight that night, and I had finished the first book by 8a.m. the next morning, the second one was finished by nightfall.

I feel so much love for these books and I want to share it with all of you. So go find yourself a copy of both and don't stop reading until your eyes fall off the last page there is. 

Do you want to know the most mind blowing part?

If you are already a fan of Tahereh you are probably aware of the many Unravel Me copies that she"defaced". If you aren't here is a link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=449817585087935&set=a.285724954830533.62695.101920913210939&type=1&theater

I have been pining for these since I set eyes on them, and I thought there was no way I could get one. 

Well, in the midst of the joy that is standing in the back of the line, I had the novel idea to ask her to write the last two lines (my favorite) of Unravel Me  on the cover of my copy. 

1. I am totes brill.
2. Um, how did I not think of this the moment I knew I was going to see her?
3. SHE DID IT!!!

And ain't it a beaut:

















So, this completely made my day, year, and possibly life. Unless I met J.K. Rowling and had her "deface" my Harry Potters.

Anyway, here is Shatter Me, go get it! (Description from Epic Reads)



Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperCollins/Harper
On-Sale Date: November 15th 2011
Genre: YA, Dystopian
Pages: 338


I have a curse.
I have a gift.


I'm a monster.
I'm more than human.


My touch is lethal.
My touch is power.


I am their weapon.
I will fight back.


No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time-and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a riveting dystopian world, a thrilling superhero story, and an unforgettable heroine.


5 SCARABS!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment